School Wide Positive Behaviour Support
School-wide positive behaviour support (SWPBS) is a framework that brings together school communities to develop positive, safe, supportive learning cultures
SWPBS assists us to improve social, emotional, behavioural and academic outcomes for our students.
When SWPBS is implemented well, teachers and students have more time to focus on relationships and classroom instruction. Students and staff benefit from:
- increased respectful and positive behaviour
- increased time focused on instruction
- improved social-emotional wellbeing
- positive and respectful relationships among students and staff
- increased adoption of evidence-based instructional practices
- a predictable learning environment with improved perceptions of safety and increased attendance
Deer Park West PS is a SWPBS school. Using our school values as a base, we have developed a whole school ‘Values Matrix’ which contains a bank of agreed upon behaviors that we expect to see across all settings within the school. Teachers are expected to unpack the behaviours throughout the year, ensuring that all students have a clear understanding of what they mean and look like in practice. In the first two weeks of the school year, staff implement a ‘Getting Started’ program. This program assists in ensuring that classroom and school wide expectations are shared and that students understand what is expected of them. It is expected that all classrooms display the Values Matrx and Values Poster in a highly visible location.
DPW Values Matrix